With ladyredspecs in the house visiting for Christmas just gone, it seemed like a great time to do some experimenting in the kitchen and play with some challenging and fun recipes. Mum’s history with food is varied and many years spent honing her skills in commercial kitchens and educating herself with some of the top chefs in the country at cooking schools meant that challenges like attempting to work with sugar should hopefully be a little easier for me. Little did we know that this would turn into an adventure for both of us, and one that has been quite enlightening and educational.
First up I will say, humidity messes with a lot more than just your hair!
Turkish delight wasn’t actually on the original list, but discovering that a few of the G family members love it meant we had to give it a go. Particularly as the sugar thermometer was also visiting Brisbane for Christmas.
I borrowed this recipe from Allessandra Zecchini’s blog choosing it over other recipes because it was less sugar laden and didn’t include colouring or gelatine.
Whilst the method seemed fairly straight forward even in the cooking process we found ways we thought we could improve what we were doing. In particular that we should be able to cook the sugar and cornflour together rather than having them separate. The good news is that this first batch kept its shape, although the time spent in the fridge meant that the sugar coating it melted leaving a not quite so attractive container of goo…eat this recipe fresh if you want it to look pretty, or be prepared to re-dust to serve. Cooler climates could very well keep their wares in a cool cupboard and avoid our little melting episode.
So the results of the first batch were that we found our turkish delight to have a clear taste of cornflour which wasn’t great, although it had a lovely finishing flavour of rosewater and raspberry. The weird thing was that not every square was the same leaving us to think we didn’t blend the sugar and cornflour mix enough. I thought the texture was good, although it was a little pasty, again leaving us with room with improvement. We do think that more sugar would reduce this and improve the texture as well.
All in all, not a complete disaster, but one that has many opportunities for experimentation and will be gracing my kitchen again. We’re even talking the possibilities of a Turkish delight cocktail.
This recipe is my contribution to this month’s Our Growing Edge. If you’re keen to push your boundaries and challenge yourself in the kitchen then join in our monthly link up party. This month it is hosted by Louise at Crumbs and Corkscrews.
Happy Baking and Happy Eating,