Entertaining guests can be very stressful and hard work, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are a few tips that will help to take some of the stress out of you having people around to share a meal at your table:
- Serve food you feel confident making, I love salads and a bbq because its easy, suits most palates and I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen whilst everyone else is having a good time.
- Prepare a menu
- Write a prep list – chef’s do it as an essential part of their daily work to make sure they are ready to prepare dishes off their menu.
- Make sure you have enough plates and cutlery to go around the day before and borrow if you need to.
- Pre-prepare as much food as you can.
- Set the table the day before if it suits the event, and on that note, clean your house the day before too if its something you want to do. Trying to clean your house, set the table and cook for a meal is more stress than it’s probably worth for anyone no matter how efficient you are.
- A vase of fresh flowers is a simple way to make a room or table feel special if the event is for a special occasion.
- Get out the dishes you are planning to serve on, including utensils to make sure everything is going to fit. It also makes it easier to do the next bit….
- Say yes when people offer to help, they love feeling like they are a part of the event and not hanging on whilst you’re sweating it out.
- Most of all, have fun and don’t stress if things go wrong. People have come to visit you, not critique you on the food you serve from your kitchen (unless that is the kind of entertaining you happen to be doing)
Shared With Love,